Literary Ladies Book Club Reading Challenge

Reading Challenge smaller

Another book challenge? Yes! I’m linking up with See You in a Porridge to show my progress! The challenge runs fromย June 21, 2015 until September 21, 2015. And this reader is finished!!!

1. A YA book
If I Stay, Gayle Forman

2. Non US Author
Case Histories, Kate Atkinson (British)

3. A book that was recommended by a blogger (or instagrammer / you-tuber / goodreads-er)
Cocaine Blues, Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher Series) – This mystery and some other series were recommended by Moira at Hearth and Homefront.

4. A book that has been on your TBR list for a year or more
The Black Album, Hanif Kureishi

5. A book with a kickass female character
Pardonable Lies, Jacqueline Winspear

6. A book that is or will be a movie (or TV show).
Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Deathย (The Grantchester Mysteries #1), James Runcie, which is a PBS series.

7. A book written by a comedian or celebrity โ€“ or even a memoirif neither of those are your jam.
Modern Romance, Aziz Ansari (READ THIS)

8. A book with a one word title.
Romola, George Eliot

9. A suspenseful book โ€“ a mystery, a thriller, a book about revenge!
Pretty Baby, Mary Kubica

10. A book about Summer, with Summer in the title, or in any way related to Summer because this is a Summer challenge!
Summerlong, Dean Bakopoulos

Don’t forget that you can be my friend on Goodreads to see what I read/give me ideas!

So, I finished up and read books that I really enjoyed (minus Romala, which was long and boring and I don’t recommend it. Ever.) them!

Please note that comments with links that are not relevant to the discussion will not be approved. Personal signatures with blog URLs will be deleted. Please use the Disqus profile to add your blog’s URL, so that I can find you.

Categories: Reading, Reading Challenge | Tags: , , |

• Cassie Lee | July 21, 2015 | Reply

I want to do a reading challenge!

• Sarah @ Back to Carolina | July 21, 2015 | Reply

Well, only after you finish all of your homework… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cassie Lee | July 21, 2015 | Reply

hahaha I’ve actually been really good about making time to read at night ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kristen @ SYIAP | July 21, 2015 | Reply

good to know about Romola, I’ll make sure it’s not on my list. congrats on finishing! can’t believe so many people have finished already – we should be announcing winners shortly, remember if you don’t win now you can still win the wildcard ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sarah @ Back to Carolina | July 21, 2015 | Reply

They were such good topics/categories! Like I happened to have If I Stay on hold on Overdrive and it came in last week, so I listened in an afternoon (after some serious crying. I guess that’s why my mom moved me out of the YA shelf-yes, my library only had one bookcase shelf thing of it when I was growing up) and onto murder mysteries when I was in middle school. Straight from Babysitters Club to John Grisham (back when he was good).
      I liked how the challenge pushed me to finish the last three books more quickly than normal! I bought Summerlong on Audible because it was suggested and sounded good, which happened to be a perfect fit. However, it was really good right up until the end. Every time I think about it, I go knock a star off of it on Goodreads hahaha. I’m going to complain to the recommenders!

• Gila | July 21, 2015 | Reply

Case Histories is one of my favorite books! I have another book by Kate Atkinson, Life After Life, on my challenge list.

• Sarah @ Back to Carolina | July 22, 2015 | Reply

I read Life After Life a few months ago! I plan on reading some more of the Case Histories series, for sure!

• Moira @ Hearth and Homefront | July 21, 2015 | Reply

How fun-I love a good reading challenge! What did you think of Phryne? I really need to track down that Aziz Ansari book, it sounds so good!

• Sarah @ Back to Carolina | July 22, 2015 | Reply

I liked Phryne! I actually made it through the 3rd one already. Not a model of morality, but I like her love for helping the less fortunate and generosity. I thought the Aziz Ansari book was well researched. It makes me wonder how I ever got married/glad I don’t have to deal with some of the new technology! I’ve been with single friends who have been using some of the apps and they’re scary!
      The novel compares how people used to marry people from within 5 blocks of their home to how we can end up with someone from another country these days. They did a bunch of focus groups, etc. Anyway, it was a short book, and very funny, too!

• The Little Things | September 7, 2015 | Reply

[…] prowl for good books, and love adding them to my “want to read” shelf on goodreads. So, when I saw this reading challenged that Sarah posted, I immediately wanted to join in on the fun! The challenge runs from June 21- September 21, so […]