Back to the Classics: 2015 Challenge

Yet another reading challenge! Yay! I love classics–I burned through quite a few last year, sadly, so I can’t read them for this challenge. It’s good that there are so many from which to chose!

back to the classics 2015

You can get all of the rules here!

My list:

1. A 19th Century Classic — any book published between 1800 and 1899: The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins (1859).

2. A 20th Century Classic — any book published between 1900 and 1965. Just like last year, all books must have been published at least 50 years ago to qualify as a classic. The only exception is books that were published posthumously but written at least 50 years ago.): The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner (1929).

3. A Classic by a Woman Author: The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton (1905).

4. A Classic in Translation. As in last year’s category, this can be any classic book originally written or a published in a language that is not your first language. Feel free to read it in its original form if you are comfortable reading in another language: Madam Bovary, Gustave Flaubert (1857).

5. A Very Long Classic Novel — a single work of 500 pages or longer. This does not include omnibus editions combined into one book, or short story collections: The Way We Live Now, Anthony Trollope (1875).

6. A Classic Novella — any work shorter than 250 pages. For a list of suggestions, check out this list of World’s Greatest Novellas from Goodreads: The End of an Affair, Graham Greene (1951).

7. A Classic with a Person’s Name in the Title. First name, last name, or both, it doesn’t matter, but it must have the name of a character. David Copperfield, The Brothers Karamazov, Don Quixote — something like that. It’s amazing how many books are named after people: Adam Bede, George Eliot (1859).

8. A Humorous or Satirical Classic. Humor is very subjective, so this one is open to interpretation. Just tell us in the review why you think it’s funny or satirical. For example, if you think that Crime and Punishment and funny, go ahead and use it, but please justify your choice in your post: The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne (1759).

9. A Forgotten Classic. This could be a lesser-known work by a famous author, or a classic that nobody reads any more: Sartoris, William Faulkner (1929).

10. A Nonfiction Classic. A memoir, biography, essays, travel, this can be any nonfiction work that’s considered a classic, or a nonfiction work by a classic author: In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (1965).

11. A Classic Children’s Book. A book for your inner child! Pick a children’s classic that you never got around to reading: The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien (1937).

12. A Classic Play. Your choice, any classic play, as long as it was published or performed before 1965: The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde (1859).

If you want to participate, link up your list by March 31, 2015.

Add me as a friend on Goodreads to watch my progress!

Categories: Reading |

• Carly Blogs Here | January 2, 2015 | Reply

I love a good book challenge too! This looks like an awesome one- I don’t know that I’d get through it, but you never know 🙂 I did get The House of Mirth for Christmas this year & I’m looking forward to reading that one.

• Sarah | January 4, 2015 | Reply

The only other Edith Warton book that I’ve read was Age of Innocence. I wish that I’d read House of Mirth first because I read somewhere that House of Mirth received some criticism, so Age of Innocence was a reaction to that criticism. I need to look it up again, because it will be interesting to know about it as I read House of Mirth!

• Rebecca Chapman | January 2, 2015 | Reply

Man! You know how terrible I am at book challenges! But my competitive nature wants to join in!

• Sarah | January 4, 2015 | Reply

You should!!!! If not, you can join the Classics Club, and give yourself 5 years to read 50 classic books hahahahaa. A lot of my challenges and book clubs overlap in books, plus the lists are totally changeable, except for one challenge that I’m in. You had to pick 12 and 2 alternates!

• Kristen @ SYIAP | January 2, 2015 | Reply

i love challenges a little too much. i am totally adding it to my list of challenges, lol. i like a lot of the books you’ve listed so i might read some of the same ones. fun!

• Sarah | January 4, 2015 | Reply

Me too. I have a challenge problem!!!

• Cheri @ Overactive Blogger | January 2, 2015 | Reply

Wish I could join you! I am still trying to get through a few books I wanted to finish by the end of last year…I MAY join you late!

• Sarah | January 4, 2015 | Reply

Well, it’s not too too many books, so you could always do it towards the end of the year and pick books that you wanted to read anyway or that are on the shorter end! But, I know how you feel. I want to read everything!!!! Hahaha

• Currently {Vol. 9} + Giveaway! - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | January 7, 2015 | Reply

[…] on//Reading challenges. (And another here!)I really have been limited in what I can do, since I hurt my arch and knee. Don’t forget to […]

• Reading Challenges Update {Vol. 2} - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | March 8, 2015 | Reply

[…] for this year’s Back to the Classics Challenge, I’ve read the following books for the following […]

• What I Read Last Month: February - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | March 27, 2015 | Reply

[…] what I read last month! Again, I am working on reading classics for my two classics challenges (here and here), my TBR pile challenge, plus since I’m working on more personal essays, I’ve […]