How to Save Money on Audible Books: The Classics

how to save money
Now, to do this, I am pretty sure that you need to have an audible account. I haven’t tested it out, though.

If you are a member like me, you probably are pretty particular about what you’ll use your credits on. I love contemporary books, but I also love the classics. When I got my first Kindle, many years ago, I was a big fan of the fact that you could get classic books like Emma for free. After I became an Audible member last year, I noticed that some books were showing up for me with a special price, but I couldn’t find any rhyme or reason. Example: Middlemarch showed up for $3.49.

middlemarch reduced price

Later, I realized that I had a free version of Middlemarch on my Kindle. However, I hadn’t read the book yet, so I scooped it up for $3.49, instead of using a credit that is worth $11.

My next step was to figure out how I could exploit more Whispersync options, in order to save money on audiobooks. I’ve figured out that the best way is to browse books that I know will be in the public domain, like Emma, which will be free on Kindle. Some books, like Lady Chatterly’s Lover, are available for 99 cents. The best way to tell is to look for books that are Whispersync compatible.

emma whisper sync

emma 2 emma free book

Here is an example of how to buy the Kindle book and then get the Audible book for the reduced price:

audible

You can still save money on some contemporary books, but the best deals are on the books that are already in the public domain. I am a huge fan of Audible because I can use the app to speed up the book. I find the regular speed way too slow, plus I can cover more books in less time. Another online resource, if you can’t get to your library is LibriVox.com. I found that website during college. It was the only way that I got through Moby Dick. So, I really did read that whole book.

I love reading. I find that audiobooks work great for me, though, because I can either multi-task while I am listening or I can rest. Sometimes my temors are too bad to hold a book, so audiobooks totally save me. Other times, I have headaches that are so bad that I can’t stand to watch TV, yet I can listen to a book with my eyes closed.

Still, I am a sucker for the smell of a book!

Do you use Audible? The library? Good old fashioned books?

Categories: Reading | Tags: , , , |

• socalledhomemaker | September 29, 2014 | Reply

Great post! Also, Emma is a great book! I like Mr. Knightley almost as much as Mr. Darcy.

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

Oh you are right! I love Mr. Knightley. Great men!

• Kristen Warren | September 29, 2014 | Reply

yay how fabulous! i love a good audiobook, especially for multitasking. I have so many audiobooks just waiting to be listened to, lol

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I have a ton waiting to be listened to, too! I love multitasking. I can get in much more reading if I listen while I curl my hair, do make up, etc!

• Erica Thompson | September 29, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for all these tips! I love audiobooks and I love saving money!

• Tiffany Khyla | September 29, 2014 | Reply

Facebook is always suggesting I get audible! I love audio books.

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I would definitely take advantage of the free month!

• Ricci | September 29, 2014 | Reply

I am such a nerd and I am obsessed with audio books!! I haven’t actually listened to the radio in months…LOL!! I need to check out Audible!!

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I only listen to music when I drive–an only my own music. I can’t stand the radio!

• Jessica Hughes | September 29, 2014 | Reply

I love audio books!! Thank you so much for these tips!

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I hope they help!

• Brenda | September 29, 2014 | Reply

These are helpful tips! Thanks for sharing!

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

You’re welcome!

• Heather Smith | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I like reading a book, but I need to multi task like no one’s business that audible is the way for me to go! 😀

• Sarah | September 30, 2014 | Reply

Yes! Multi-tasking is one of the best parts. I can fit in so many more books!

• Madison | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I’m more of an old fashioned book lover but audio books are perfect for your situation!

• Rebecca Chapman | September 30, 2014 | Reply

I had no idea! I’m going to have to try this!

• Sarah | October 1, 2014 | Reply

It’s forcing me through the classics, which I always want to read anyway! 🙂

• Seriously, Sarah? | November 6, 2014 | Reply

[…] -I listen to Audible books at 2 times the speed. (You can read about how I save money on Audible books here.) […]

• The Classics Club Membership Reading List: 50 Books - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | December 24, 2014 | Reply

[…] Obviously, audiobooks are my go-to choice, but there are quite a few that I have found that I will absolutely have to read in paperback or on Kindle. That will probably be my biggest challenge. I’ve started utilizing my library for audiobooks on CD, but some of the classic books were recorded awhile ago, so they only come in cassette. I just can’t do that. #sorrynotsorry So, for those types of novels, I can utilize Audible. If you want tips on how I get great deals on classic books through Audible, click here! […]

• Melissa | December 30, 2014 | Reply

This is such a fantastic post!

• Sarah | December 30, 2014 | Reply

Thanks! I get through so many more books when I am using audiobooks! I am didn’t finish as many books as normal this month because I read a few paperbacks and e-reads.

• Melissa | December 30, 2014 | Reply

I just bought half dozen narrations of kindle books I already had. I love this!

• 10 Book Related Problems that I Have - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | February 19, 2015 | Reply

[…] 10 books on hold (the max) at the library. I have audible credits and have figured out how to get classic audible books on the cheap. I also saw that buy 5 get one free book deal on Thriftbooks and had to buy the books that my […]

• Top 12 Favorite Books that I Read in the Last Year - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | March 4, 2015 | Reply

[…] (At the time of writing, this novel was 50% off and the whisper sync version is only $3 – read here about how you can save a lot on Audible books! What works for Classic novels will work for all novels) or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier […]

• Moving Audiobook CDs to Mobile Devices - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | March 30, 2015 | Reply

[…] plus I can increase the speed up to two times the regular speed. However, I read so many books (you can read how to get classic books on the cheap and apply the same principle to other books, too), that sometimes I just need to get audiobook cds to put them onto my iPad. You can pick them up […]

• Summer Reading Challenge from Semi-Charmed Kind of Life - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | April 28, 2015 | Reply

[…] 25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. — Submitted by winter finisher Kristen from See You in a Porridge. The Way We Live Now, Anthony Trollope [I really have enjoyed most, if not all, of Trollope’s works, and this one has been on my TBR list for a long time. So, perfect chance! I snagged it on the cheap off of Audible using my how to save money on Audible versions of classic books, which you can read here.] […]

• What I Read: May - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | June 1, 2015 | Reply

[…] you can find other individual book reviews, tips on saving money on Audible books, book recommendations  based on genres and all things related to literature […]

• What I Read Last Month: June - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | July 1, 2015 | Reply

• What I Read Last Month: October 2015 - Seriously, Sarah?Seriously, Sarah? | November 2, 2015 | Reply